1. Call to Order. The regular meeting of the Council of the City of Rogers was called to order by Mayor Grimm on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 7:00 p.m. at Rogers Community Center, 21201 Memorial Drive, Rogers, MN, 55374.
Council present: Rob Bell, Jay Bunting, Jason Grimm, Rick Ihli, and Maureen Stanley.
Staff present: Stacy Doboszenski, Assistant City Administrator; Brad Feist, Jason Greninger, Web IT/Communications Specialist; Fire Chief; John Seifert, Public Works Supt.; Robert Shellum, Police Chief; Steve Stahmer, City Administrator; Bret Weiss, City Engineer; and Lisa Wieland, Finance Director.
2. Open ForumNone.
4. Approve agendaMayor Grimm – restaurant parking added under Other Business
5. Consent Agenda5.01 Approval of Minutes from February 14, 2012 City Council Meeting5.02 Approval of Bills and Claims5.03 Approval of Resolution No. 2012-12, A Resolution Reestablishing Precincts and Polling Places5.04 Approval of Resolution No. 2012-13, A Resolution Granting Site Plan Approval for Flame Metals Addition5.05 LOGIS RMS Letter of Intent5.06 Engineering Scope for WWTP Aeration Motor Replacement and Variable Frequency Drive Installation5.07 Rockin' Rogers Parade Permit Application
Bunting moved, Ihli seconded a motion to approve the consent agenda. Motion carried 5-0.
6. Public HearingsNone.
7. General Business7.01 2012 Resolution providing for the sale of $1,750,000 General Obligation Water Revenue Bonds and $450,000 Equipment Certificates as the $2,200,000 G.O. Bonds, Series 2012A (Resolution No. 2012-14)Finance Director Wieland addressed the Council providing the background for the sale of the $2.2 million bonds. Wieland explained $1.75 million is for the ground water storage reservoir/water main and $450,000 is for an equipment certificates for two years of equipment. Wieland provided an explanation of the proposed levy limits that would not allow for new general obligation debt after May 1st of this year.
Stahmer also provided an explanation of how levy limits would hinder the ability to levy for new debt. Wieland asked for questions from the Council.
Mayor Grimm asked about the line item for a new Chief's vehicle. Shellum stated the existing vehicle is being used by the School Resource Officer.
Stahmer stated staff is looking to operate tonight's approval as it has in the past; approving the purchases with information when purchased to be given to Council under correspondence.
Wieland explained how purchases will still go through an internal purchase approval process.
Bunting asked Seifert to explain the Hassan tractor listed in the equipment list. Seifert provided an explanation stating the old tractor would be traded.
Wieland stated the equipment certificate is for five years and all items listed need to have at least a five year life span.
Bell asked if the server replacer qualifies for the five year life span. Greninger stated it does and he would keep it after five years and continue to use the equipment. The software would not be purchased under the equipment certificate.
Bunting stated he has no problem with this. Bunting commented on the State government taking away the local government's ability to manage. Bunting stated local governments as a whole have done a good job in managing their own finances. In his opinion he believes we are doing a better job than the State in running finances.
Staff continued to discuss the proposed levy limit bill being considered by the State legislature.
Wieland stated the award of the bond sale will be on the March 27, 2012 agenda.
Bunting moved, Bell seconded a motion approving Resolution No. 2012 - 14, A Resolution providing for the Sale of $1,750,000 in General Obligation Water Revenue Bonds and $450,000 in Equipment Certificates as the $2,200,000 G.O. Bonds, Series 2012A, including authorization of the City Administrator and Finance Director, along with Ehlers and Associates, to prepare an offering document and solicit proposals for the issuance said bonds. Motion carried 5-0.
7.02 Approval of the 2012 Zoning Map – Ordinance No. 2012-01Administrator Stahmer stated the Planning Commission has forwarded on the final zoning map which incorporates all of former Hassan zoning districts.
Stahmer stated the Planning Commission held a public hearing on the map on February 21, 2012 where a few specific concerns were raised, and addressed by staff. Stahmer highlighted a few of the areas.
Ihli stated at last Tuesday's Planning Commission meeting there were a number of questions raised and most of those issues have been addressed and the questions have been answered sufficiently in staff's memo.
Stanley stated that she has also been on a task force that has been looking and developing this map for a long time and feels comfortable with it.
Ihli moved, Stanley seconded a motion to approve Ordinance No. 2012 -01 adopting the updated Rogers Zoning Map as submitted and, after discussion, recommended by Planning Commission. Motion carried 5-0.
7.03 Police Chief Recruitment and Selection ProcessChief Shellum addressed the Council on the proposal for the recruitment and selection process for a new police chief.
Grimm stated in looking through the proposal, it appears that a lot of the items that were addressed in the individual meetings are being presented.
Bunting stated he was able to meet with Chief Shellum regarding this today and feels positive about the direction the process is going. Bunting stated he believes Shellum has done a pretty good job getting Rogers ready for a new chief and has portrayed Rogers in a more positive manner.
Bell stated the proposal presented reflects what the Council's expectations were.
Council agreed with the timeline Shellum proposed in his staff memo.
Stanley agrees with the process and asked how many applicants we will be getting. Shellum believes we will get 25 to 40 applicants.
Ihli asked when a start date would be. Shellum stated the first of June is the goal.
Bunting moved, Stanley seconded a motion to approve the Proposal for the Design, Recruitment, Screening and Selection of Police Chief Candidates for the City of Rogers, MN. Motion carried 5-0.
Bunting moved, Ihli seconded a motion to approve the Professional Services Agreement between the City of Rogers, MN and Joynes, Shellum, and Good, LLC DBA as Midwest Government Advisors. Motion carried 5-0.
8. Other Business8.01 Restaurant ParkingGrimm would like this on the next meeting for discussion, stating he was approached by a business owner who would like to see the number of required parking spaces for a restaurant increased. Staff stated they are aware of the request to have the ordinance amended.
Stahmer stated this is something that should be referred to the Planning Commission for review. Council consensus was to forward this to the Planning Commission.
9. Correspondence and ReportsNone.
10. Adjourn to closed Session to Meet With the City Attorney to Review Litigation Matter Involving Lakeland ReceivershipMayor Grimm adjourned the meeting to closed session at 7:29 p.m.
Public Works Supt. Seifert addressed the Council and was prepared to update the Council on the implementation on the storm water utility across the combined community. He thinks there is some misinformation and confusion about the new utility.
Seifert was allowed to proceed with a powerpoint presentation on the purpose of the storm water utility and what the fund pays for. Council heard the presentation.
Grimm agrees the website should be updated to include this powerpoint presentation.
Council went into closed session at 7:39 p.m.
Council reconvened from closed session at 7:51 p.m.
Attorney Carson stated in closed session Council discussed the offer to settle a claim involving the Lakeland receivership. If Council is satisfied with the recommendation, then a motion is needed authorizing the City Attorney to accept the offer from the receiver.
Bunting moved, Bell seconded a motion authorizing the City Attorney to sign/accept the offer from the Lakeland receiver. Motion carried 5-0.
11. AdjournBell moved, Stanley seconded a motion to adjourn at 7:52 p.m. Motion carried 5-0.
Respectfully submitted,Stacy DoboszenskiAssistant City Administrator/Clerk