1. Call to Order. The regular meeting of the Council of the City of Rogers was called to order by Mayor Grimm on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 7:00 p.m. at Rogers Community Center, 21201 Memorial Drive, Rogers, MN, 55374.
Council present: Rob Bell, Jay Bunting, Jason Grimm, Rick Ihli, and Maureen Stanley.
Staff present: Stacy Doboszenski, Assistant City Administrator; Brad Feist, Fire Chief; John Seifert, Public Works Supt.; Robert Shellum, Police Chief; Steve Stahmer, City Administrator; Bret Weiss, City Engineer; and Lisa Wieland, Finance Director.
2. Open ForumNone.
3. Presentations3.01 County Commissioner Jeff Johnson to Address City Council
Mr. Johnson was not present at the beginning of the meeting. Mayor Grimm moved this item to later in the agenda. (Ultimately the meeting adjourned prior to Mr. Johnson arriving.)
4. Approve agendaThe agenda was set with the following items added under Other Business:8.01 Discussion about going paperless for packets – Bunting8.02 Appointing members of the City Council to Senior Advisory Board
5. Consent Agenda5.01 Approval of Minutes from January 10, 2012 Work Session and January 10, 2012 City Council Meeting5.02 Approval of Bills and Claims5.03 2012 Park Board Member Appointments5.04 Approval of Resolution No. 2012-05, A Resolution Approving the JPA Between State of Minnesota and City of Rogers5.05 Site Plan Approval for Ground Storage Reservoir and Pumping Facility5.06 Approval of Grant Agreement #A-EMPG-2011-HENNCO-00321 (Homeland Security Emergency Management) and Authorize to Execute5.07 Police Department Building Upgrades – Pulled by Bunting
Bunting moved, Bell seconded a motion to approve the consent agenda less 5.07. Motion carried 5-0.
5.07 Police Department Building UpgradesBunting wanted to make sure the lights with "police" on them are lights that can be moved when the day comes because of their cost. Bunting moved, Stanley seconded a motion to approve 5.07. Motion carried 5-0.
6. Public HearingsNone.
7. General Business7.01 Accept Bids, Award Project, and Authorize Construction Services for the Construction of the North Ground Storage Reservoir and Pumping FacilityEngineer Weiss provided a presentation on the bids received for the north ground storage reservoir also presented were the site plan and design for the reservoir.
Weiss stated the preferred option for the tank inlet is option number two; a better system for mixing within the tank. Weiss stated alternates three and four relate to the aesthetic design of the tank. Weiss explained the difference between the different designs and the cost associated with each. Weiss recommended the $17,000 option – alternate three.
Weiss then provided a project schedule with completion by September/October 2012. Weiss recommended awarding the bid with alternate numbers two and three to Natgun Corporation in the amount of $1,850,721.
Grimm agreed to give the tank some aesthetics with alternate number two.
Bunting moved, Ihli seconded a motion to approve awarding the bid to Natgun Corporation with alternates two and three. Motion carried 5-0.
Also discussed was the construction services agreement with WSB.
Stanley moved, Bell seconded a motion to authorize construction services with WSB for $121,852. Wieland stated we will be bringing back bonding in March for the financing of this project. Motion carried 5-0.
7.02 Approval of the Conditional Use Permit for American TowerAdministrator Stahmer read from Planner Grittman's memo recommending approval with the following conditions as set forth by the Planning Commission:1. The City must review and approve all construction permits.2. The Conditional Use Permit must be recorded.3. The applicant enters into a lease with the City for the additional space to be occupied by the new equipment.
Bunting asked if we know how loud the generator is. Public Works Supt. Seifert stated you could add a condition regarding decibel levels at or below the existing generators onsite.
Ihli thought it was discussed at the Planning Commission that the piece of equipment being recommended is quiet.
Bunting moved, Ihli seconded a motion approving the conditional use permit for American Tower with the conditions recommended including a condition regarding decibels levels at or below the existing generators onsite. Motion carried 5-0.
7.03 Request Authorization to Advertise to HireChief Shellum stated the request is to advertise for the position that was included in the 2012 budget. Shellum briefly discussed the procedure for creating a list of candidates.
Bell stated when we approved the budget, we added this in as a potential hire. At the time, it was Bell's recollection that we were going to hire post-annexation to see how the position is needed.
Shellum stated this isn't the authorization to hire, but to establish the register. Also, there is always the possibility of turn-over and the need to establish a register as soon as possible in the event of a vacancy. In the meantime, we will further evaluate the need for the position. Shellum stated 15-16% of the current events are happening in Hassan since January 1st.
Ihli asked if the number of events was out of the ordinary. Shellum stated it is hard to know.
Bell stated if we want to advertise and prepare a group of candidates, he sees that as reasonable.
Ihli stated he agrees with creating the list and recommended having the new Chief in place before doing the hire.
Bell stated it depends on how quickly we get a new Chief; there will be competing priorities. If it is possible to wait, he agrees, but if the situation comes about that we need someone before then, then we are prepared to hire.
Bunting stated Ihli makes a valid point that it would be nice to have the new Chief make the decision, and believes it's in the City's best interest to move forward in this process and establish a list.
Shellum discussed the length of the process to get somebody ready for the street.
Stanley asked Shellum to explain what he meant by his staffing pattern in the memo. Shellum provided an explanation of the current schedule.
Bunting stated in the past we have always wanted to keep two on at all times; not sure if as a Council that we have discussed three necessary at all times. It may be a discussion for a work session to discuss the number of officers on duty at all times before we get to a point of having a three-on policy established.
Shellum stated two-on is what we are looking to maintain. Bunting stated two-on is our stated goal, not a mandate from the Council. Shellum stated two-on has been made as a primary directive internally.
Grimm stated he heard a couple members of the Council state Hassan's concerns – a sticking point with our police department, but also stated Stanek had concerns of not enough staffing. Be careful of who we are listening to and make sure we are not making decisions on people who are upset about merger discussions.
Bunting moved, Bell seconded a motion authorizing the advertisement to hire for police officer candidates for the purpose of establishing a hiring register. Motion carried 5-0.
8. Other Business8.01 Discussion about going paperless for packets – BuntingBunting asked if other Council members wanted staff to research the possibility of paperless packets; using some type of tablet device.
Council's consensus was to have staff research going paperless. Administrator Stahmer suggested having a task force meet to discuss this option.
8.02 Appointing members of the City Council to Senior Advisory BoardGrimm moved, Bunting seconded a motion appointing Ihli as primary and Stanley as secondary to the Senior Advisory Committee. Motion carried 5-0.
9. Correspondence and Reports9.01 Park Board Minutes – November 10, 20119.02 November, 2011 Financial Reports
No action was taken.
10. AdjournBunting moved, Stanley seconded a motion to adjourn at 7:30 p.m. Motion carried 5-0.
Respectfully submitted,Stacy DoboszenskiAssistant City Administrator/Clerk