1. Call to Order. The special meeting of the Council of the City of Rogers was called to order by Mayor Bunting on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 5:30 p.m. at Rogers Community Center, 21201 Memorial Drive, Rogers, MN, 55374.
Council present: Rob Bell, Jay Bunting, Don Hall, Rick Ihli, and Maureen Stanley.
Staff present: Jeff Beahen, Police Chief; Gary Buysse, Liquor Operations Manager; Stacy Doboszenski, Assistant City Administrator; Brad Feist, Fire Chief; Steve Grittman, City Planner; John Seifert, Public Works Supt.; Steve Stahmer, City Administrator; and Bret Weiss, City Engineer.
2. Open ForumNone.
4. Approve AgendaThe agenda was set as submitted.
5. Consent Agenda5.01 Approval of Minutes from December 11, 2012 City Council Workshop Minutes5.02 Approval of Bills and Claims5.03 Authorization to Hire Two Paid On-Call Firefighters5.04 Approval of Grant# A-EMPG-2012-HENNCO (Homeland Security and Emergency Management) and Authorize to ExecuteIhli moved, Stanley seconded a motion to approve the consent agenda. Motion carried 5-0.
6. Public HearingsNone.
7. General Business7.01 Kinghorn/Clam Corporation Site Plan ApprovalPlanner Grittman addressed the Council and provided background information on the request by Grady Kinghorn/Clam Corporation for site plan approval to construct a 150,000 square foot office/warehouse facility located at Brockton Lane/I94/County Road 81. Grittman proceeded through the following Planning Commission recommended conditions for approval:1. A parking demand analysis must be provided and approved indicating that a reduced number of parking stalls will be sufficient in both phases of building development to serve the needs of the buildings employees.2. Landscaping plans are to be modified and submitted showing additional small tree, shrub or perennial plantings are provided in open space adjacent to Brockton Lane for aesthetic purposes, although full screening is not required.3. A signage plan for the site will be submitted that meets the City's code requirements as specified in the Industrial General sign overlay district regulations.4. Grading, drainage, utilities, and related services plans are reviewed and approved by engineering and public works staff.5. Lighting plans will be submitted that are in compliance with City Code requirements.6. All documents provided will be reviewed by City Staff for comment and compliance with City Code.Bunting questioned if the applicant was okay with the conditions as stated by the Planning Commission. Staff stated they were.
Hall asked what type of corporation Clam is and the amount of traffic it will bring to Brockton. Grittman stated they are an ice house manufacturer/distributor with approximately 25 employees on site. There wasn't a clear number provided for the amount of trucks per day.
Engineer Weiss addressed the access points for the site and discussed a future frontage road.
Administrator Stahmer stated the main purpose for tonight's site plan approval is to allow the applicant to move forward with a grading permit to have the pad ready for construction and meet Clam Corporation's deadlines.Staff stated a plat will be coming forward for approval in January along with a Developer's Agreement.
Weiss discussed the City's progress on a Joint Powers Agreement with Dayton for sewer and water to this site.
Bunting stated he knows this is important to Mr. Kinghorn and thanked staff for the work on processing the application. Bunting stated this will be a nice addition to the commercial/industrial district.
Stanley asked what type of manufacturing will be done. Grittman stated they will be only doing assembly, no raw material processing.
Bell moved, Hall seconded a motion to approve the site plan for Clam Corporation on Brockton Lane, subject to the conditions recommended by the Planning Commission as listed in the staff memo. Motion carried 5-0.
8. Other BusinessNone.
9. Correspondence and ReportsNone.
10. AdjournBell moved, Ihli seconded a motion to adjourn at 5:47 p.m. Motion carried 5-0.
Respectfully submitted,Stacy DoboszenskiAssistant City Administrator/Clerk