1. Call to Order. The regular meeting of the Council of the City of Rogers was called to order by Mayor Grimm on Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 7:00 p.m. at Rogers Community Center, 21201 Memorial Drive, Rogers, MN, 55374.
Council present: Rob Bell, Jay Bunting, Jason Grimm, and Rick Ihli.Members excused: Maureen Stanley.
Staff present: Jeff Carson, City Attorney; Stacy Doboszenski, Assistant City Administrator; Brad Feist, Fire Chief; Rose Lorsung, City Planner; Mike Miller, Police Captain; John Seifert, Public Works Supt.; Steve Stahmer, City Administrator; Bret Weiss, City Engineer; and Lisa Wieland, Finance Director.
2. Open Forum. There were no comments during open forum.
3. Presentations. None.
4. Approve agenda. No items were added to the agenda. Agenda was set as submitted.
5. Consent Agenda. 5.01 Approval of Minutes from June 28, 2011 City Council Workshop and Minutes from June 28, 2011 City Council Meeting5.02 Approval of Bills and Claims 5.03 Calling a Budget Workshop Session on July 26, 2011 at 6:00 p.m. at the Rogers Community Room, 21201 Memorial Drive, Rogers, MN5.04 Authorize Clerk’s Signature on Fire Relief Assoc. Form SC-11; 2012 City Contribution5.05 Update of the Sanitary Sewer Cleaning & Emergency Response Policies5.06 Appointing of Mr. Kevin Jullie as the Rogers Representative to the Elm Creek Watershed5.07 G.I.S. SIGNview & Work Order Management Program Upgrade5.08 Authorization to Sign Scoping Estimate for City Request Facility Surcharge for 129th Street Project5.09 Liberty Industrial Park at Diamond Lake Road Utility Approval (Added)
Bell removed 5.08 for further discussion.Bunting moved, Ihli seconded a motion to approve the consent agenda with the addition of 5.09 and the removal of 5.08. Motion carried 4-0.
5.08Bell stated he was not in favor of the surcharge in the beginning and removed it from consent agenda for a separate vote.Bunting moved, Ihli seconded a motion to approve 5.08. Motion carried 3-1; Bell voting no. 6. Public HearingsNone.
7. General Business7.01 Approval of Scope of Services for the Annexation Code Merger Task IIPlanner Lorsung explained the items involved in the annexation code merger task II and provided examples of the items included in the scope.
Bunting moved, Bell seconded a motion to approve the scope of services for the annexation code merger task II.Grimm asked if the City of Rogers is paying for the scope of services.Administrator Stahmer provided background on previous discussions with the Hassan Board and indicated Rogers is responsible for payment. Motion carried 4-0.
7.02 ADA Accessible Sidewalk and Ramp Improvement Projects:• Authorization to acquire quotes and to construct the trail & sidewalk improvementsPublic Works Supt. Seifert explained the request to construct the trail and sidewalk at Autumn Meadows apartments to 129th Avenue. Costs would be shared with ASI, the owner of Autumn Meadows, with either an assessment or cash payment.• Authorization to approve Limited Use Permit to construct a trail in MnDot Right of WaySeifert explained the scope of the project for a pedestrian trail at the southwest corner of Highway 101 and South Diamond Lake Road. Seifert stated the paved street budget could accommodate this project; pedestrian ramp and approximately 100 feet of bituminous trail.
Grimm questioned the funding/cost for each project.
Bell questioned the cost to the City for the ASI/Autumn Meadows trail. Seifert explained the City’s improvement and cost and the improvement and cost associated with the private property owner.
Bell questioned the trail at Highway 101 and South Diamond Lake Road stating it appears Arby’s is losing a parking spot and wondered if there is another place for the trail to be located. Seifert explained the layout of the parking lot and stated there would be a concrete taper coming into the parking lot.
Bunting asked if we are putting a pedestrian crossing on 129th along with the sidewalk expansion. Seifert explained when Word of Peace expands, they intend to build a trail to connect the sidewalk. Seifert stated the main concern is the competing traffic in the parking lot and the snow storage in the winter.Seifert suggested diagonal striping to the entrance to ADO on a temporary basis.
Bunting moved, Ihli seconded a motion to allow the City Administrator to execute the MnDOT limited use permit and to authorize the acquisition of quotes to construct the trail and sidewalk improvements as described. Motion carried 4-0.
8. Other Business8.01 Liberty Industrial Park at Diamond lake Road Utility ApprovalThis item was moved under consent agenda under 5.09.
9. Correspondence and Reports 9.01 June Police Report9.02 Park Board Minutes 9.03 Speed Trailer No formal action was taken.
10. ADJOURNBunting moved, Bell seconded a motion to adjourn at 7:18 p.m.
Respectfully submitted,Stacy DoboszenskiAssistant City Administrator/Clerk