2012-PermitsPermits are available at City Hall 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday.  The following permits are also available for download:

Building permits are required for the following projects:

  • Construction of new home
  • Building a deck or porch
  • Installation of a fireplace, chimney, or wood stove
  • Installation of a new furnace, A/C, or mechanical ventilation system
  • Plumbing alterations, water softener, water heaters
  • Finishing a room in a basement
  • Remodeling an existing building
  • Additions to a house or a garage
  • For sheds that are over 120 square feet in floor area
  • Installing an underground sprinkler system
  • To install a fence
  • Building a retaining wall higher than 4 feet
  • Window replacements
  • Re-roofing your home or garage
  • Installation of new siding
  • Installation of swimming pools which exceed 5,000 gallon capacity or is 24 inches in depth

Building Code questions can be answered by calling Metro West Inspections at 763-479-1720.

Electrical questions and permits can be answered by the State Electrical Inspector by visiting www.electricity.state.mn.us or call 763-241-2102.

Frequently Asked Questions:

When are fence permits required?

Anytime a new fence is constructed, or an existing fence is altered or moved.

When do I call for a fence inspection?

After the monument irons have been located and exposed, the fence line posts have been installed, and before the final completion of the fence.

How do I find the property lines?

Permanent corner iron monuments should be located below the sod level, in the ground of each legally divided parcel of land in Rogers. Locating the corner iron monuments is the responsibility of the property owner. The corner iron monument can be found by using a certificate of survey and a metal detector, or contact a registered land surveyor to locate and expose the monuments or replace any missing pins.

How much do fence permits cost?

The fee for a fence permit is $75.00

What are the setback limitations?

-You may not block the drainage in the drainage easement.

-You must place the fence in the rear of the principle building.

-Corner lots have special requirements, please see the fence ordinance 1999-15.

-You may not place the fence on the property line (unless permitted with documentation).

-You must discuss and acquire written permission of your neighbors, that you will be placing the fence on the lot lines.

-You understand that by placing your fence in the drainage and utility easment that if there are any problems in the future, you will be responsible for any expenses should any access along the drainage and utility easement be necessary by the City of Rogers or its permittees.

What are fence permit submittal requirements?

1. A completed fence permit application.

2. A Certificate of Survey of the property or an accurate, scaled drawing of the property indictating the location of the house, garage(s), other improvements and the fence all in relation to the legal property lines

What other documention do I need to provide for a building permit?

Two sets of plans must accompany all residential building permits. Three sets are needed for all commercial projects.  Lot surveys may also be need when applicatable.

Are lot surveys available?

Lot surveys are available for pick up at City Hall.

Where can I get a building permit?

Building permits are available for download. They are also available at city hall or by mail. Please call city hall if you wish to have it mailed to you.

How long does it take to process a permit?

Permits that require plan review take 5 - 10 days to review.


The city of Rogers contracts out inspection services to Metro West Inspection Services. Contact Metro West with any questions related to building codes.

Metro West Inspection Services
689 Medina St
Loretto, MN 55357
(763) 479-1720