ROGERS PLANNING COMMISSION
FEBRUARY 16, 2010
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting of the Rogers Planning Commission was held on February 16, 2010 at 7:00 p.m. was called to order with Commissioners Kornovich, Ihli, Noto, Knapp, Breun, Stanley, Terhaar, Denker, and Olsen present.
Also present were City Planning Consultants Rose Lorsung and Jennifer Haskamp, Deputy Clerk Splett, and Councilmember Bell.
No one wished to speak.
Chairman Noto inquired if there was anyone who wished to place an item on the Agenda.
The following was added under “Other Business”
• Billboard lighting
• Interim use permits
A. Approval of the December 15, 2009 Planning Commission Minutes
Commissioner Knapp moved, Commissioner Ihli seconded a motion to approve the Consent Agenda.
On the vote, all members voted AYE, with member Noto abstaining. Motion carried.
A. Discussion on Temporary Sign Policy – Road Construction Projects
Planning Consultant Lorsung provided the background information on this item, commenting on the following:
• Types of signage allowed, uniformity
• Impacts to the area businesses
• There will be no lane closures during the construction
• Directional signage, no detours
• State and County allow minimal orange signage
The Planning Commission discussed the following:
• Coordination with the Chamber for businesses to be informed of the temporary signage during construction
• Signage will be a permit process, nothing will be supplied by the City
• There will be some changes to the intersections, but no actual lane closures
• No logos – only name of business with directional sign
• Allow 1 sign and 1 banner with the banner stating “open for business” only, no promotional content
• Construction standards/durability for banners - uniform color, size, lettering, must be professionally done
• Comfortable with 24 sq.ft. for sign and 10’-12’ height
• Signs to be removed 2 weeks after the completion of the construction project
• Signs to be allowed on City owned property if available
• No signs in the right-of-way – must be on private property
Planning Consultant Lorsung will forward this information to the City Council for the Feb. 23rd Council meeting.
B. Joint Planning Board, Hassan Township and City of Rogers – Meeting Summary
Planning Consultant Jennifer Haskamp provided the background information commenting on the following:
1. Zoning designations
2. Fletcher historical area
3. Home occupations
4. Ag Preserve
Planning Consultant Haskamp will keep the Planning Commission updated as the meetings progress.
No action required.
• Interim Use Permits
Commissioner Noto inquired if the City should create an Interim Use Permit ordinance since the City approved one earlier this year. Planning Consultant Lorsung stated that the City is protected by State Statute for the use of interim use permits. The City could create an Interim Use Permit ordinance also. There was a brief discussion on the creation of a home occupation ordinance.
No action taken.
• Billboard Lighting
Commissioner Noto suggested that the City requests downcast lighting for the two billboards that they receive revenue from since it was required of the billboard located on the Sabot property.
No action taken.
Commissioner Ihli moved, Commissioner Breun seconded a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:18 p.m.
On the vote, all members voted AYE. Motion carried.