1. Call to Order. The regular meeting of the Council of the City of Rogers was called to order by Acting Mayor Davis on Tuesday, March 9, 2010 at 7:20 p.m. at Rogers Community Center, 21201 Memorial Drive, Rogers, MN, 55374.
Council present: Jay Bunting, Jamie Davis, Rob Bell. Steve Rauenhorst arrived at 7:34.Council excused: Jason Grimm.
Staff present: Brad Feist, Fire Chief; Jason Greninger, IT Specialist; Jeff Luther, Police Chief; John Seifert, Public Works Supt.; Steve Stahmer, City Administrator; Lisa Wieland, Finance Director; and Bret Weiss, City Engineer.
2. Open Forum. No persons addressed the Council during open forum.
3. Presentations. None.
4. Approve agenda. 8.01 Discussion on Stone’s Throw Development Issues - Davis 5. Consent Agenda. 5.01 Approval of Minutes from February 23, 2010 City Council Meeting 5.02 Approval of Bills and Claims 5.03 Adopt Ordinance No. 2010–01, An Ordinance Prohibiting Urinating And Defecating In Public And Providing For A Penalty Thereof 5.04 Approval of Temporary One-Day On-Sale Liquor License to the Rogers Lions Club for a Mexican Dinner on Saturday, May 1, 2010 at 21201 Memorial Drive, Rogers, MN 5.05 Approval of Minnesota Lawful Gambling Permit to Conduct Excluded Bingo for Rogers-Hassan Senior Friendship Group, Inc. for Bingo on April 19, 2010, August 23, 2010, and Nov. 22, 2010 at Cabela’s, located at 20200 Rogers Drive 5.06 Approval of Resolution No. 2010-04, A Resolution Authorizing the City of Rogers to Execute a Revised Agreement No. 95643-R With the State Of Minnesota Department of Transportation 5.07 Approval of Resolution No. 2010-05, A Resolution Authorizing Execution Of A Limited Use Permit With The State Of Minnesota Department Of Transportation For A Pedestrian Trail In The Right Of Way Of Interstate Highway 94 At State Highway 101.Council pulled items 5.01 and 5.06 from consent agenda.
Motion by Bunting, seconded by Bell to approve the consent agenda, less 5.01 and 5.06. Motion carried 3-0.
5.01 Davis abstained from voting on the minutes due to his absence from the meeting.Motion by Bell, seconded by Bunting to approve 5.01. Motion carried 2-0-1 with Davis abstaining. 5.06 Bell asked for clarification if the revised contract is something we already considered, or is this a new amount. Seifert stated the amount in the revised document reflects a significant reduction in the fly-over project due to additional TAB funding. Down from $1.9M to $83,000 which includes 7 percent for change orders. Motion by Bell, seconded by Bunting to approve 5.06. Motion carried 3-0.
6. Public HearingsNone.
7. General Business 7.01 Approval to Hire Two New Firefighters – Richard Fox and Jed KassulkeChief Feist addressed the Council and introduced two new candidates for consideration; Richard Fox and Jed Kassulke. Feist stated both candidates have passed their physicals and background checks.
Motion by Bunting, seconded by Bell to authorize the hire of Richard Fox and Jedrin Kassulke as paid on-call firefighters for the City of Rogers Fire Department. Motion carried 3-0.
7.02 Purchase of Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) Seifert addressed the Council and provided a short PowerPoint presentation regarding the request for software purchase. Seifert explained the software is primarily for asset management purposes. Seifert stated the software cost is programmed into the water and sewer utility budgets. Seifert continued to discuss the various components of the software.
Seifert stated the number in the quote is an hourly not-to-exceed number. Seifert also explained how Jason Greninger will be involved in the implementation process.
Davis asked, in the future, if this software can be integrated with the financial software. Seifert provided an explanation of the future capabilities.
Bunting asked what the cost savings are for purchasing the software. Seifert explained less money would be spent outsourcing the work to contract engineers/labor. Seifert also provided examples of how it assists with day-to-day operations, such as locates, providing significant savings in man hours. Stahmer explained how it will assist with storm water maintenance.
Bunting asked if the company provides consistent updates to the software. Greninger explained they provide updates more than once per year.
Bell questioned the maintenance cost. $1300 is the expected amount per year for maintenance and support.
Motion by Bell, seconded by Bunting to authorize staff to purchase Computerized Maintenance Management System. Motion carried 3-0.
7.03 Construction Mitigation Grant with the Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED)Seifert stated the application for the grant was $18,000 with $10,000 awarded. The City Council approved the submission of a construction mitigation grant under the DEED grant program designed to assist communities with impacts to business and residents during transportation construction projects.
Motion by Bunting, seconded by Davis to authorize execution of grant contract CMGP-10-0002-S-FY10 for construction mitigation dollars.Bunting thanked Seifert for the grant. Motion carried 3-0.
7.04 (tabled) Discussion of City of Rogers Information Booth at Rockin’ RogersStahmer stated this item can be tabled again due to Rauenhorst’s absence.Motion by Bell, seconded by Bunting to table this item until Rauenhorst is present. Motion carried 3-0.
8. Other Business. 8.01 Discussion on Stone’s Throw Development IssuesStahmer stated staff wanted to keep the Council apprised of the Stone’s Throw Development. Staff has received some interest from a broker for possible various uses for the project. Staff is looking for council consensus to have staff work with the developer and broker to determine appropriate uses for the site given the approvals already granted to the property. Stahmer suggested appointing one or two council members to be liaisons for the group. Stahmer stated the Mayor has requested to be involved in discussions as the Mayor.Davis stated he sat in on the first round of discussions and is willing to continue.
Council consensus was to appoint Grimm and Davis as liaisons to the Stone’s Throw discussions.
7.04 Discussion on City of Rogers Information Booth at Rockin’ Rogers.Rauenhorst arrived.
Motion by Bell, seconded by Bunting to un-table the discussion regarding an information booth at Rockin’ Rogers. Motion carried 3-0.
Rauenhorst stated the purpose of the booth is to provide more information to the public to be operated by salaried staff and council.
Council discussed having nonelection year candidates staff the booth to avoid campaigning issues.
Rauenhorst suggested having a survey at the booth for residents.
Stahmer stated staff will work with event organizers to have a booth.
Council continued to discuss having the booth staffed by those not running for office.
9. Correspondence and Reports 9.01 Form Letter from Hennepin County to all Rogers On-Site Septic System OwnersNo action taken.
10. AdjournMotion by Bunting, seconded by Bell to adjourn at 7:45 p.m. Motion carried 4-0.
Respectfully submitted,Stacy DoboszenskiAssistant City Administrator/Clerk