1. Call to Order. The budget workshop session of the Council of the City of Rogers was called to order by Acting Mayor Davis on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 5:30 p.m. at the Rogers Community Room, 21201 Memorial Drive, Rogers, MN, 55374.
Council present: Acting Mayor Davis, Jay Bunting and Steve Rauenhorst.Council excused: Mayor Grimm and Rob Bell.
Staff present: Chuck Burnham, City Planner; Gary Buysse, Liquor Manager; Dave Callister, Financial Consultant, Stacy Doboszenski, Assistant City Administrator; Brad Feist, Fire Chief; Jeff Luther, Police Chief; John Seifert, Public Works Supt.; Steve Stahmer, City Administrator; and Lisa Wieland, Finance Director.
2. Presentation of Working Version of Financial Management Plan (FMP) Finance Director Wieland reviewed the proposed financial management plan (FMP). Wieland cautioned Council and staff the plan is a continuous work in process document. Council and staff proceeded to do an extensive review of the FMP.
Davis questioned the fund balance percentage decrease. Finance Director Wieland explained the FMP uses a conservative approach to budgeting and this conservative approach is applied throughout the FMP.
Finance Director Wieland continued to provide detailed review of the FMP, highlighting some assumptions and the areas which are vulnerable to change.
3. Base Line BudgetCouncil and staff then reviewed the 2009 Anticipated Revenue Shortfall for General Fund and the budget modifications list.
There was discussion on service related and time sensitive items, specifically the Lynde McLeod brush drop-off site. Council discussed eliminating the contract.
Bunting suggested to start adding growth back in to realize the actual 5 year forecast. Bunting stated he would like to see information on what other cities are staffed at, their budgets, etc.
Administrator Stahmer stated the service level cuts are a 2.5 FTE reduction.
Council and staff then discussed the levy and the tax capacity decrease from 2009 to 2010.
4. Set 2010 Budget GoalsDavis requested a sample of 20 residential, 10 commercial and five industrial properties and show the impact on taxes.
There was discussion regarding giving notice to employees whose positions may be eliminated and unemployment.
5. Set next budget workshop for 6:00 p.m. on July 28, 2009No action.
6. Adjourn. There being no further business, motion by Davis, seconded by Bunting to adjourn. Motion carried 3-0. The meeting was adjourned at 6:55 p.m.
Respectfully submitted,Stacy DoboszenskiAssistant City Administrator/Clerk