1. Call to Order. The budget workshop session of the Council of the City of Rogers was called to order by Mayor Grimm on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 6:00 p.m. at the Rogers Community Room, 21201 Memorial Drive, Rogers, MN, 55374.
Council present: Councilors Rob Bell, Jay Bunting, Jamie Davis, Jason Grimm, and Steve Rauenhorst.
Staff present: Chuck Burnham, City Planner; Gary Buysse, Liquor Manager; Stacy Doboszenski, Assistant City Administrator; Brad Feist, Fire Chief; Jeff Luther, Police Chief; John Seifert, Public Works Supt.; Steve Stahmer, City Administrator; and Lisa Wieland, Finance Director.
2. Overview of 2009-2010 budget and impending issues Administrator Stahmer introduced the budget workshop session.
2.01 Defining the contributing factorsFinance Director Wieland read from a memorandum outlining the contributing factors to the current budget situation from 2007 to present. Also presented was a table illustrating taxable market value and tax capacity rates for 2007 through 2010. Wieland reported that maintain the existing levy would have an upward affect on existing tax rate.
Administrator Stahmer and Finance Director Wieland reported that levy limits from 2009 to 2010 isn’t going to change much based on a price deflator indicator of .76% instead of the previous 3.9% increase in levy limits. Wieland stated there may be the potential to special levy for the unallottment of Market Value Homestead Credit.
2.02 Stabilization of budget in financially trying economic times – 2006-2009 combination of solutions used historically in RogersWieland and Stahmer read from a list of solutions that have been applied and are anticipated to be used to balance the budget. Staff reported that the City does not have a cash flow issue, and the goal for the 2010 budget session is to find a tolerance level while prioritizing our service levels.Council stated they appreciated the information presented.
3. 2010 Budget CalendarCouncil and staff reviewed the proposed budget calendar and discussed the possible change to the truth in taxation hearing process which occurs in December.
4. Set next budget workshop for June 23rd, 5:30 p.m.Council and staff discussed the next meeting. Bunting asked if staff can come up with new options for budget workshops as the calendar doesn’t allow for time for staff to consider Council’s options. This led to a discussion on the possibility of additional budget work sessions. Council also discussed making a placeholder on the agenda for budget discussions. Mayor Grimm suggested making it item 7.01 on every agenda going forward.
Davis suggested having a town hall meeting to find out what the residents want for levels of service; what they are willing to pay for and willing to give up.
Administrator Stahmer cautioned the Council about opening every budget workshop to full public comment as the time involved would make it nearly impossible to get through the budget process.
Consensus was to have a standing agenda item to updating the public as necessary placing it on as Other Business for first meeting of month and holding workshops prior to Council meetings for the second meeting each month.
Bell stated that at some point he would like to see lists of staff recommendations and council options. Stahmer stated there will be those provided going forward in the process.
5. Adjourn. There being no further business, motion by Bunting, second by Bell to adjourn. Motion carried 4-0. The meeting was adjourned at 6:47 p.m.
Respectfully submitted,Stacy DoboszenskiAssistant City Administrator/Clerk